Daily Serving of ‘Meat’ – Day 21
As usual I skipped most of the scenes in this show (not sure though if ‘usual’ is the right word to use here since this is only the second episode). After all most of the backgrounds are reused most of the time (I mean the same background is used for perhaps more than 10 minutes continuously, and repeatedly on top of that).
So this episode is about yet another ‘alteration’ took place, except this time it happens in the virtual world where it resulted in many students skipped their school (due to being ‘trapped’ in the social online gaming or something like that). Sasami had her own theory to explain the ‘alteration’ that occurred in the previous episode, which is interesting by itself but to think that her brother is probably a Haruhi-like ‘God’ (who is unaware of his own divinity yet still have the divine power to alter the world just by willing it) that is enough to make me say WTF?!
What I like:
- Kagami and her personal “high-speed network”.
- Nothing else
Warning: The paragraphs below ‘summarizes’ what I hate in this episode. Read at your own risk.
I usually take up to 2 hours to watch a half-an-hour anime (the extra 1 and half-an-hour would be used for taking and processing snapshots into “something wonderful” which includes stitching and serving as a base for parody/crossover artworks).
That however is not the case with Sasami-san. For a start I could call this “Sasamimonogatari” because of its similarities with those “Monogatari” series made by SHAFT, except that it wasn’t flooded with random texts out of necessity like what you would find in “Monogatari” series (but it still retains the annoying stills).
I finished this in less than 15 minutes yet I still don’t feel like I was missing too much because the only important thing that I got is the “chocolate war” that happened last week indeed happened and it’s what they call ‘alteration’. For now it’s just some kind of speculation but alteration was taking place again in this episode so it can be assumed as it’s not fake for now.
I don’t mind with dialog-heavy show but if those dialog occur in the same scene/background for more than 5 minutes and the same scene/background may be reused again a few minutes later, and this repeated several times in one episode, then I’m not amused. There’s wasn’t much stuff to watch anyway other than
Hanazawa-san Kagami whom I think the only character worth taking snapshots of in this show.
In this episode Kuro Usagi explained the truth behind the ‘game’. With this second episode I no longer care about looking for something I like because I found very little likeable since the start. Thank goodness there are still some ‘interesting’ stuff worth exploring such as the fact that those three problematic kids are not from the same but parallel worlds.
That left me with only things that I hate though:
- The story started to feel unplanned just like the same feeling Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? gave me.
- Izayoi, despite agreed to help Kuro Usagi and the “no name” community is still a jerk since he refused to enter the game which You and Asuka challenged the enemy earlier.
- Shiroyasha whom Izayoi called “crazy loli clad in Japanese clothing” was inconsistent in her role. I don’t know if she was supposed to be a really strong character or not since she seems quite susceptible to attacks too, and not sure if she is a friend or not because she seems to be the type who wouldn’t mind to kill people in her games. On top of that she is voiced by Satomi Arai, the one who voiced the annoying Kuroko in To Aru Majutsu no Index and also the one who narrated the anime Ookami-san that was so annoying since the narrations got in the way of the dialog that confused me on which one to listen to.
- OK now I know You does not have the superpower by her own but obtained it from the wood carving she received from her father. However I can’t understand the rationale she would want to risk her life to ride the Griffin in order to ‘copy’ his ability because there was no explanation at all for such motivation.
If it wasn’t because of I managed to find the interesting stuff this would have been the last episode I watched before I dropped it. Speaking of that I didn’t bother to watch the last 3 or 4 episodes Kore wa Zombie Desu ka Of The Dead because of the how the show feel unplanned.
Daily Serving of ‘Meat’ – Day 20