Title: Medaka Box
English title: -
Genre: Action, Slice of Laifu, Comedy, Fanservice, Fighting, Romance
Flavor/Theme: High school
Character design/Original artist: NisiOisiN (writer), Akira Akatsuki (illustrator)
Source media: Manga
Seriousness factor: Medium (it seems it will become more serious in the future as what it is in the manga. After all this is from Nishio Ishin)
Episodes: 12, “half-season”
OP: “HAPPY CRAZY BOX” by Minami Kuribayashi
ED: ED1: “Ohanabatake ni Tsuretette” (お花畑に連れてって) by Aki Toyosaki
Airing status: Currently airing
Aired by: TV Tokyo
Watchability factor: High
Rewatchability factor: High
Hateability factor: Low
Recommendability factor: High
Characters: Medaka Kurokami, Zenkichi Hitoyoshi
Characters I like: Medaka and Zenkichi
Characters I’d like to beat to a pulp using a spiky baseball bat: Anybody who seriously oppose those two above
What I’m in for: Not sure but I’m totally in for whatever is served to me
What I hate about it: Super perfection
Other noteworthy remarks: Medaka looks a lot like Rias Gremory from High School DxD
First thing is there’s no magic at all, let alone a magical girl here. What we do have is an oppailicous seito kaichou with long blue hair, complete with an ahoge.
Medaka Box is a series I’ve been anticipating for a while. Just like the rest of anime I’ve watched, I also haven’t had any experience with the source media either. It’s a good thing too because at least I have nothing to compare with and get mad over a “poor adaptation” like some people would do.
Into the story, it’s about Medaka whom upon being elected as a seitou kaichou set up a suggestion box for students who need help. Currently there’s nobody in the Student Council besides her so she always drags Zenkichi around to accompany her, even if it’s just for the sake of accompanying.
Medaka Kurokami is not your ordinary first your high schooler. I mean for a first year, to be able to get 98% votes by all students (the remaining 2% being the delinquents who didn’t vote for her) and became a President of the Student Council is very impressive. Not to mention she seems to remember every students name in the school. She is also EXTREMELY passionate to help others.
Written by the same dude who did the xmonogatari series (which I found less interesting than this series) Medaka Box is quite different than most high school drama setting. At some point it feels like a mixture of Haruhi, Seitokai Yakuindomo and Sket Dance (take note that it is not as bad as Sket Dance though).
When I said different earlier I mean look at how she was able to become a seitou kaichou, the highest position a high school student could get and usually held by a more senior student. It’s just a proof that Medaka is a high-caliber person.
I’ve heard from some anime community that the manga this anime is adapted from is a “trolling” (or mocking) manga, a trait usually seen from Nishio Ishin’s works. I’m not sure how is this trolling or parodying but his works always found parodying other popular works and can be seen in xmonogatari series.
Setting that aside, I do like the ‘romance’ found in this series. If you ask me Zenkichi is the “tsundere” one here although at the end of episode 1 he did mention that he’s weak against Medaka’s “tsundere attack”. Another Zenkichi’s good point is he’s a quite capable man himself too though it appears that he’s always behind Medaka in everything. Not sure if he’s just unmotivated or he really did fall behind.
I wish they could emphasize more on the romance part though. I’m not sure how long the manga would run but I hope to see some conclusion soon, preferably a decisive one between Medaka and Zenkichi. Speaking of those two, I must say they have a very interesting kind of relationship.
It seems that they’ve known each other since they were two. Medaka on the other hand seems to be an ojou-sama type who is perfect in EVERYTHING. She must have never faced a failure before and Zenkichi is actually worried about what if she suddenly failed? That said I kinda dislike Medaka’s “super perfect” traits. maybe not as much I hate tsundere but I’d like to see one occasion where she failed and Zenkichi was there to comfort here, at least once.